Education and culture lie in the root of all development. For this reason, the importance of education stands at the top position either in individual or national level. Financial development increases assets and consumption, but extension of education spreads justice and values in the society and sustains the overall development. But education is not available for all in the developing countries. Especially, deprived and neglected people stay away from the light of education owing to lack of money and necessary environment. SSS, from its inception, has been implementing diversified education-related programs and projects for the development of vulnerable and trailing children and adolescents.
Goal and Policy
The main goal of education and child development program of SSS is to build a well-educated nation by providing universal and quality education and bring destitute children and adolescents to normal life. In order to develop the neglected and deprived children and adolescents and expand modern quality education, SSS has adopted the following objectives and policies:
- Creating proper environment for the education of deprived children and adolescents of the society, establishing them in the mainstream of the society by providing them with modern and quality education;
- Providing proper food-nutrition and healthcare to the target children and adolescents and making them conscious and encouraged about the protection of health and environment;
- Spreading public awareness and development activities both at social and individual level for the establishment of child rights;
- Providing technical training to the educated and half-educated youths for reducing unemployment and arranging employment for them; and
- Providing scholarship to destitute meritorious students for the sake of extension of education.
Implemented Programs, Projects and Activities
Under the program, SSS has been implementing a number of exceptional projects and activities. The activities play both direct and indirect roles in the development of education and also the advancement of the future of children and adolescent in the society. The mentionable and important programs, projects and activities are as follows:
SSS-Poura Ideal High School
SSS has been working since 1994 with a view to creating educational opportunities for the children of neglected communities, bringing both psychological and environmental change through the practice of education and culture and giving them opportunities to meet food-nutrition and other basic needs. One of the concerned institutions in this respect is SSS-Poura Ideal High School. It was established in 2015 in Tangail. Presently, 428 children from Play-group to class nine are reading on a regular basis in the school.
Special Characteristics: Some special and important characteristics of SSS-Poura Ideal High School are as follows:
- The three-storied school has ultra-modern instruments and equipments of education;
- Teaching by a group of experienced and skillful teachers;
- Apart from Horijan, Rabidas and Chauhan communities, the school provides educational opportunities for the mainstream children and adolescents;
- Enough opportunities for technological education and technology study is mandatory;
- Opportunities of English version from nursery to class two; and
- Free health and nutrition services.
Presently, SSS-Poura Ideal High School runs under joint funding of Terre des Hommes-Netherlands and SSS itself.
SSS Sonar Bangla Children Home
SSS Sonar Bangla Children Home mainly acts to rescue, protect and rehabilitate children and adolescents from the brothel. It is situated in village Kuijbari of Mogra union near Tangail Sadar Upazila. It was established in 1999 with joint financial support from Terre des Hommes-Netherlands and SSS. A total of 86 children lives here at present. Among them, 46 are boys and 40 girls.
Important Characteristics: Important characteristics of Sonar Bangla Children Home are presented below:
- Rescuing brothel children and providing them with free accommodation, food, clothes, education and healthcare;
- Opportunities of sports, recreation, religious and technical education;
- Opportunities to progress as normally as mainstream children through educational, cultural, psychological and physical development;
- Unlimited chances for the children of getting higher education and overall support in marriage and getting jobs.
Presently, Sonar Bangla Children Home runs under joint funding of European Union and technical support of Terre des Hommes-Netherlands. There is a primary school here too. Children from the home and local communities study together in the school at present.
Education Center for Domestic Children
Financial inability, helplessness and misfortune force many children and adolescents to earn from their very childhood. They sell their labor in exchange for food or nominal wages in the houses of aristocratic families. In order to ensure education, rights and development for these children and adolescents, SSS has been implementing distinguished activities since 1999. Terre des Hommes-Netherlands has been funding the project. SSS implements the project through 10 education centers in Tangail Sadar Upazila. A teacher (female) facilitates each of the centers. Every center consists of 25 children and 80 per cent of them are girls.
Special Characteristics and Policy: Special characteristics and policy of the project are as follows:
- Classes from one to five remain open for two hours a day to impart lessons following government syllabus to the students;
- In addition, they are provided with training on cooking, household activities, cleanliness etc.
- The children observe child rights week, Independence Day, victory day and other important national days with due importance; and
- Half-yearly meetings are arranged with the house owners and guardians of the children and adolescents.
With heartiest support from several child-friendly house-owners, some of the children have passed class five and are now studying in high schools and colleges.
Technical and Vocational Education, Training and Employment Creational Activities
With a view to reducing unemployment and dependency, SSS has been creating employment by providing technical and vocational education and training to the youths of the society. In this respect, SSS implements the following activities:
- Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Institute
Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Institute is mainly a technical training center. The main goal of the institute is to make deprived unemployed young people skillful through technical and vocational training and create employment for them. It is situated in the village Pachh Bikramhati near Tangail town. The institute was launched in 2011 and Terre des Hommes-Netherlands and SSS have jointly been providing financial support in this institute.
Students of the institute include children of group members of SSS that studied at least up to class ten. The institute provides training and education for one year under five trades. The trades include: Automobile and Mechanical, Welding and Machinist, Electronics and Electrical, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning and Plumbing and Construction.
Special Characteristics and Policy of the Institute: Special characteristics and policy of the institute include:
- Providing free training, training instruments and textbooks;
- Arranging monthly scholarship and credits for those willing to go abroad;
- Making linkages with the employer organizations to manage employment for the trainees; and
- Instigating the trainees to create self-employment and making them skillful, providing them with financial and overall support to those willing to go abroad.
2. Skill for Employment Investment Program (SEIP)
Main objective of SEIP is to create employment for the youth society by capacity building. SSS started the activities of SEIP from January 2016 with support from PKSF. SSS has been implementing the program via its Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Institute.
The unemployed youths from poor and marginal borrower families can get training on any of the 15 trades. The age limit for trainees is 15 years having minimum educational qualification of class five. But some of the trades require at least SSC. Duration of training is 3 to 6 months based on the trade. The trainees do not need to meet any expenses in this respect. But they have to pay 10 per cent of the total expenses at a time including food and accommodation in the training center. TVET institute selects the youths for training according to PKSF guidelines and send them to concerned training centers.
Main objectives of the program include:
- Providing capacity building training to target people on self and wage-based employment;
- Ensuring entry in job market through capacity building training; and
- Ensuring appointment in appropriate job after training;
Considering the trainers, infrastructure and management related capacity of the SSS-TVET institute, Bangladesh Technical Education Board has recently been approved to facilitate training courses under SEIP. The approved trades are: i) Automobile Mechanics, ii) Plumbing and Pipefitting, iii) Electrical, iv) Refrigerator and AC, v) Welding and Fabrication, vi) Machinist/Small Engineering and vii) Computer Office Application (IT support).
It is expected that, SSS-TVET institute will start to implement training activities as the determined training center of SEIP subject to PKSF approval.
Scholarship is an important part of human resource development capital. For the expansion of education, SSS has been providing scholarships and other support to the students at different level since 2000. The social commitment and development activities of SSS have been bearing positive value in the welfare of the country and the nation.
Special Characteristics and Policy: The target people, nature and policies of scholarship activities are as follows:
- Poor but meritorious and unmarried students get different priority-based scholarships from class six to post-graduation level;
- There are four kinds of scholarship: SSS-Naga Scholarship, Regular Scholarship, One-time Scholarship and Special Scholarship;
- SSS-Naga Scholarship is provided two times a year (half-yearly) and the per person scholarship money is Tk. 3000 (total Tk. 6000 a year);
- Under regular scholarship, a fixed amount of money is provided every month up to a certain period of time considering education level and expenses;
- One-time scholarship is provided as Tk. 10000 per person a year based on the SSC or HSC result of the children of group members; and
- SSS provides special scholarships on special terms under special circumstances.
Review of Results of the Program:
SSS has been implementing education and child development program for more than two and a half decades with a view to ensuring the access and attachment of deprived and trailing people in education and culture. The direct and indirect consequences of the activities are playing a subsidiary role in establishing an improved society and culture. The achievements of education and child development program during 2016-17 are presented below:
SSS-Poura Ideal High School: Presently, 428 children are in SSS-Poura Ideal High School. As on 30 June 2017, a total of 46 students from Horajan, Chauhan and Rabidas communities passed SSC, 10 passed HSC and one student completed graduation under the education activities. Three students are presently studying in general subjects in different universities, two students in BSc engineering and three students in diploma engineering.
SSS Sonar Bangla Children Home: During the reporting period, 86 more children and adolescents were rehabilitated to Sonar Bangla Children Home. Among them, 46 were boys and 40 girls.
During 2016-17, 55 students attended the annual or final examination and all of them passed successfully. Eight students attended PSC examination and all of them passed. Besides, five students took part in the JSC examination and five passed among them. One student got A+.
Four students passed the SSC examination whereas four attended the same. Five students attended the HSC examination and four passed among them. Besides, four students received Diploma degree and three students completed Bachelor (Honours).
Since its inception till 30 June 2017, SSS arranged marriages for five boys and 14 girls (total 19). A total of eight children got jobs in SSS and 16 in other organizations.
Education Center for Domestic Children: In 2016-17, a total of 250 students were studying in 10 education centers. Among them, 59 were boys and 191 girls. 250 students attended the final or annual examination and all of them passed. Seven students attended PSC examination and seven students passed.
Technical and Vocational Education, Training and Employment Creational Activities: Under the activities, a total of 73 children completed training on five trades from SSS-TVET institute during 2016-17. Among them, 66 were boys and 7 girls. Till 30 June 2017, a total of 372 youths completed training from the institute and 311 are employed in different institutions. Among them, 288 are doing jobs inside the country and 18 abroad. Five among them are engaged in self-employment. A total of seven trainees received credits for self-employment.
Under SEIP, 40 people received training till 30 June 2017. Among them, 13 are engaged in jobs and 27 are searching the same.
Scholarship Activities: During 2016-17, a total of 364 students came under SSS scholarship activities. The organization expended Tk. 31.64 lac in this respect. Among them, 184 students got scholarship of Tk. 11.04 lac under SSS-Naga scholarship, 95 students got Tk. 14.72 lac under regular scholarship, one-time scholarship was not distributed owing to adverse situation and 85 students got scholarship of Tk. 5.88 lac under special scholarship.